[APG Public List] Citing Sources - Your Opinion

Cindy Leigh cindy at rahman.com
Mon Jun 28 19:23:52 MDT 2010

Hello!

I am a grad student doing an online genealogy research degree from the
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland, and my thesis is on the
practice of citing sources in the amateur genealogist population.  There has
been much concern among professionals about the integrity of family
histories floating around the internet and the amount of misinformation
being shared due to lack of proper documentation of sources.

Your opinion/s on this subject would add tremendously to my research.  A few
short questions:

1.	Obviously, education is the key.  Do you think professionals are
doing enough to help educate the general population about the importance of
citing sources?

2.	Do you think one solution would be to lobby the largest subscription
services, such as Ancestry.com, to provide more up-front and visible prompts
to add ANY kind of information as to where the information as obtained - in
their public family trees?

3.  Can you refer me to others who may have an opinion on this subject?

Other thoughts or comments?

Thank you,

Cynthia Leigh