[APG Public List] [APG Members] My Predicament!!!! (Need Help).

Jack Butler jackbutler at shwgenealogy.com
Fri Jun 25 11:15:50 MDT 2010

Larry wrote:

"It's the responsibility of each person to make sure they're secure.  If you leave your door unlocked, you can't complain if someone opens the door and walks in."

I concur totally with the first sentence and find the 2nd totally nonsensical. During daylight hours, my door is routinely unlocked. The idea that I am inviting strangers into my house and that I have no complaint should one enter is ridiculous. It has never happened, but I assure you that any stranger walking through that unlocked door without invitation would most certainly be met with complaint and might quite possibly be met with overt hostility.

Likewise, the fact that I might inadvertently leave some crack in my computer security (I don't particularly believe that I do) is not equivalent to giving tacit permission for some jerk to go poking about the innards of my system. The error, or even carelessness of a computer user does not excuse or justify someone else's bad behavior.

Jack Butler