[APG Public List] [APG Members] My Predicament!!!! (Need Help).

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri Jun 25 10:02:15 MDT 2010

That make sense, I don't use free email accounts.  In this case maybe they
were too free!  Or freely available.

People get careless with their passwords and usernames, and who can blame
them.  For genealogical purposes alone I have over 200 username/passwords.
But each one is unique, and composed of a mix of uppercase, lowercase and
numerals.  I record the answer to my security questions on the same file
card that has the password and username, never leaving it on the website in
question.  And I make up my own unique security question (not just 'mother's
maiden name').  I never leave my computer set to automatically log in to a
site (which parks a cookie containing that information on your pc).

It's the responsibility of each person to make sure they're secure.  If you
leave your door unlocked, you can't complain if someone opens the door and
walks in.

The good thing is that it's pointless to keep changing your passwords.
Absolutely not necessary unless you know for sure that you've been hacked.
No need to change your bank password every so many months. Hackers don't
operate like that.

with dozens and dozens of these things, who could keep updating them anyway?

play by the same rules you'd use in real life, and you won't be as
vulnerable on the web.

But again Terry, it's that old Urban Legend chant someone told me "a friend
of hers did...."  Ye olde 'friend of a friend" again.

Larry