[APG Public List] [APG Members] SCAM: My Predicament!!!!(NeedHelp).

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri Jun 25 09:48:36 MDT 2010

Yes, the elderly are prone to such things, though not as often by email
(simply because the vast majority aren't as active on the internet as other
age groups).  They more often are victims of the telephone frauds.  There's
a handful that fall for the mail or telephone versions every year in this
city for example.  My elderly mother has her carpets cleaned far too often
(even with my efforts to monitor things) that we could all eat off of them.
Her memory span isn't very long. These scams are more targeted at the
elderly, or new immigrants (but that latter group are prone to a
particularly vicious type of scam).
.
Friends of friends I don't think included elderly aunts.  Someone should be
monitoring the email account of any elderly person who could be easily duped
though.  Setting up mail rules that work using a coded word in the body of
the email for example.

There are many other reasons why these scams are sent out. You can't imagine
how many millions go out.  Some of them are simply looking to see if they've
hit a valid address or not.  In some cases opening the email will allow the
sender to know that a valid account has been found.  Could be targets then
for more subtle activities that lead to your pc becoming infected by some
worm or virus.

More danger of people falling for the Paypal message to verify your account,
or the message from your internet provider asking you to verify accts, I
suppose.  Though I think if someone was foolish enough to provide personal
data by email, then the responsibility falls on their shoulders...

Larry