[APG Public List] [APG Members] SCAM: My Predicament!!!! (NeedHelp).

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri Jun 25 08:41:07 MDT 2010

This idea that 'friends of friends' wired money sounds like a classic urban
legend.  Usually phrased in the manner "some friends of friends" did it, or
saw it, or it happened to them.  When you go looking to see who these people
were, it's like trying to drive to the horizon,  it keeps advancing in front
of you through a continuous chain of new 'friends of friends'.  And you
never reach an actual person who fell for it.

I really think anyone  who has been on the net for years, or used email over
the last 5 years should be relatively immune to these things.  The scam of
inserting email addresses is an old one, and rarely means that the message
actually came from that email address (if you looked at the actual headers,
you'd see it rarely does).  I get 50 of these things a day.  Some using
variation of my own email addresses (kind of stupid to then include me in
the mailing!).  Everything you can imagine.  If we started alerting the
local police with every one of these silly little attempts, they'd not be
able to do anything else.

they keep doing it simply because it's easy to do.  Not because it succeeds.
Someone somewhere lives in hope of finding a dupe.  I guess it keeps them
busy.  I imagine the return on their efforts is very small.

Your email address can appear in the "from" box, but that doesn't mean it
actually was the email account or address that sent out the scam.  People on
hotmail or facebook sometimes allow their contacts or friends lists to be
openly viewed by everyone.  Or they use third party FB apps that aren't
subject to your FB privacy settings.  Easy enough to glean those names and
use them, replacing the original email sender with a fake version of your
own.

I find it strange that there's this kind of surprised and alarmed reaction
to what is really a variation on a common email con.

Larry