[APG Public List] shirttail cousins

billiefogarty at aol.com billiefogarty at aol.com
Sun Jun 13 15:33:27 MDT 2010

Elizabeth has mentioned how the term "shirttail cousin" is used around
these parts.  The term we have used for those in the family who have
married in or who are related to our relatives is "kissin' cousin".  I
have a church friend whose uncle married my aunt.  We share an aunt and
uncle but we are not related.  We always refer to our relationship as
"kissin' cousin".  For my cousins who are the children or grandchildren
of my parents or grandparents cousins, we refer to them as our first or
second cousins so many times removed or sometimes just as "another of
my great grandparents' great grandchildren".  And yes, we do
occasionally still get together.

My husband thinks that I am related to everyone in Oklahoma and tells a
really funny story about flirting with a tall, beautiful blond he met
on a plane between Chicago and Oklahoma City.  She was coming from New
York and he from DC and all was fine until he figured out she was my
second cousin.  He knew her parents and her maiden name, but did not
recognize her married name nor her as she had not been to the family
reunions.  He realized that she was his "kissin' cousin" but knew
better than to take that literally.

Billie Fogarty
Oklahoma City