[APG Public List] shirttail cousins

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Sun Jun 13 08:24:10 MDT 2010

Larry,

My own two cents here. I do not think it would be fair to say this a strictly Irish term. My mother's German family calls them "shirt sleeve" relatives. As other have noted, the term is also called "Kissing Cousins." in English.  I would not make too much of it. You might want to explore other terms in other cultures and languages and then present a report. I would suspect Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese might turn up some good phrases for you. And that is just the Western Hemisphere.

Craig