[APG Public List] shirttail cousins

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sun Jun 13 06:57:42 MDT 2010

Would it be fair to say the term 'shirttail cousins' has Irish origins (as
do some of these colourful, but apt descriptive phrases).  What I like about
it is that it implies a characterization of the relationship in a more apt
way than just "family of my second cousin's wife".   Some saying, 'they're
my wife's shirttail kin" would convey more of a sense. Like "kissing
cousins" (far enough removed that they could marry without breaking any
cultural taboos)

Larry