[APG Public List] [APG Members] Source Citation studygroupcommencinc soon

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Jun 10 17:49:16 MDT 2010

Re: [APG Members] [APG Public List] Source Citation study groupcommencinc
soonThanks for the reply, Elizabeth

As does my offer of participation at frequent points along the journey.  I
think I've tried to explain why I really think the group needs to go a
little ways down the road on its own first, find out what where our
strengths and weaknesses are so that good questions can be asked of guests.
Maybe we can find a way to compromise on our counter 'offers' since they
ultimately serve the same purpose.  But that's more appropriately done off
list.

I don't remember offering to 'teach your text' in that sense though.  This
is a study group, not a Ph.d program.  Since EE is widely popular and the
main reference book on the subject, it is going to feature in any discussion
of source citations in genealogy. Probably will encourage a couple of sales
(can I get a commission on them?)

I can't imagine you could be at every discussion or group that looks at
source citations. I'd have guessed that's why you wrote a book on the
subject.  None of the group members are ever going to have the kind of
intimate knowledge even if the group went on for a decade. And cover to
cover doesn't mean literally page by page.  I think you do have
sections/chapter?  I'm not a source citation houdini.  A little realistism
will be employed in this process!

EE is one of several references, but it's the main reference genealogists
turn to (and alternatively maybe are even a little intimidated by). If we
establish a higher level of comfort in working with source citations and
with EE, the group will have succeeded.

If you want to cast your eye over anything I write up for topic and
discussion introductions, I'll be glad to send them on to you, as a courtesy
and to see if I've wandered into the realm of misinterpretations and
mischaracterizations, in your opinion. And a standing invitation, even on a
weekly basis to come in and provide your expertise will always remain open.
If you agreed to then let the study group also work on its own and find its
own way in between your periods of interaction.

Definitely would invite anyone with relevant knowledge on the same basis
when the group gets to the point of looking at requirements from archives,
journals, and magazines, if their presence would help.  And anyone else with
something to offer on the subject, including individuals who are familiar
with the various 'software assistants' (I think I'll call that session "How
I learned to wean myself off of Source Writer"  or equivalent :)

thanks for the interest in this project.

Larry

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Experts in Historical & Genealogical Research"
Listowner, TheoryGen (a non-archived list)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com