[APG Public List] [APG Members] Source Citation study groupcommencinc soon

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Jun 10 12:47:48 MDT 2010

Hi Connie,

I have responded to Elizabeth privately.

Essentially I think having someone of Elizabeth's calibre on the list (in
the beginning at least) would alter the dynamics for the list.  I think the
temptation would be for all of us to simply engage in chaotic question and
answer sessions, which is why I suggest periodic visits are welcome (and I
think necessary) at least in the intial period.  In between visits I'd
rather we worked at it quietly in this group environment, step by step.  I
think I see the concept really  exploring the ideas and concepts that lie
behind source citations as well as the actual application of those concepts,
something I think you accomplish by working with the subject itself.  Not by
being given the answers easily.

The cut off I guess is based on an honest answer to this question: "do you
need to strengthen or refresh existing skills or develop greater
understanding of source citations."  If you say that's the case, welcome to
the group.   If you don't then why would you want to join. So I'm setting
the bar at that point, at least in the very beginning while the list
establishes its own dynamics. I suspect those with established expertise
would really help the group if they'd periodically  volunteer to come answe
questions at strategic points as we all move forward in this project.

The range of people in the group now covers the span from newbie to
experienced researcher, but each one individually states they want to work
to improve their source citation skills and understanding, in a group
setting.

Larry

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Experts in Historical & Genealogical Research"
Listowner, TheoryGen (a non-archived list)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com