[APG Public List] SourceCitation better link version 2

Jacqueline Wilson wilssearch at me.com
Thu Jun 10 12:18:27 MDT 2010

Craig - Are you sure you do not live in Chicago?
On Jun 10, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Craig Kilby wrote:

Larry,

Ahh, but Larry. Statistical analysis is wonderful, but just why did
Lancaster County, Virginia (where I happen to live) have a 20% voter
turnout in Tuesday's primary?  The rest of the counties both within
this congressional district and others which had much more spirited
races (and I've checked every county) had a 5% turnout (give or take).
Citing my sources for this information is quite another matter. I
personally don't see the need for a discussion group to explain it all
for me. The basic data is to be found at the Virginia State Board of
Elections. Granted, perhaps the VBE has their data screwed up. If I
were publishing an article, I would verify the results county by
county. But, I'm not writing an article.

And while the turnout in Lancaster County was five times higher than
average/mean/mode/median, the votes fell the same way as the rest of
the district (comprising about 20 counties and several Independent
Cities), stretching from Williamsburg to the suburbs of DC. So, the
sample is not polluted or skewed in any way.

The only thing I can figure out is that Lancaster is one of the few
(maybe the only) counties that routinely purges its voter rolls. Thus,
this tells us that in all the other jurisdictions that only reported a
5% turnout are not purging their rolls, making them rife for mischeif
this fall. (Which leads me to the cynical conclusion that this is the
reason they are not purged in the first place. We'd hate to remove all
those weeds in vacant lots, dead people, cats and dogs from the "every
vote counts" rolls, wouldn't we?)

Craig

Jacqueline Wilson
Evanston, IL

wilssearch at me.com
Professional Indexer, Historian, and Genealogist
IASPR Newsletter Editor

"Wilssearch - your service of choice for the indexing challenged
genealogist."