[APG Public List] citation Think Tank

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Jun 10 11:53:19 MDT 2010

Then my description is poorly worded because I don't intend to be a leader
in the sense you suggest.  Understand that there's a lot involved in quickly
setting up a Yahoo group, so my first description is written very quickly.
I'll review it based on your criticism of it.

 But I guess the proof will be in the pudding. Your first email came only to
me, and I responded more fully there. My role will be to try to give the
discussions structure and make sure that everyone is getting something from
them.  Move things along at some points, slow it down at other points to
give everyone time to absorb and progress.

I think saying I'm setting myself as a leader isn't at all the way I see it,
in fact I don't understand what you mean by that,  but don't underestimate
my knowledge and experience with this subject.  I feel confident that I can
help create a good study environment in this group.  Once the discussions
start, I'm going to participate like any other member. Call it a structured
peer group.  But I'm open to ideas, just give me time to get things going
here!  The group is only a couple of hours old, to be fair!

And the emphasis is on writing citations, but to write them well you have to
understand the why and not just the how.  And that means really looking at
related subjects too.

Those well versed in the subject have expressed an interest, and will be
important resources as the discussion sessions proceed. But people learn by
doing, by making mistakes, by questioning and figuring out the answers, by
group feedback, as well as from those who have expert standing

Larry

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Experts in Historical & Genealogical Research"
Listowner, TheoryGen (a non-archived list)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com