[APG Public List] SourceCitation better link version 2

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Thu Jun 10 10:36:55 MDT 2010

Larry,

Ahh, but Larry. Statistical analysis is wonderful, but just why did Lancaster County, Virginia (where I happen to live) have a 20% voter turnout in Tuesday's primary?  The rest of the counties both within this congressional district and others which had much more spirited races (and I've checked every county) had a 5% turnout (give or take). Citing my sources for this information is quite another matter. I personally don't see the need for a discussion group to explain it all for me. The basic data is to be found at the Virginia State Board of Elections. Granted, perhaps the VBE has their data screwed up. If I were publishing an article, I would verify the results county by county. But, I'm not writing an article.

And while the turnout in Lancaster County was five times higher than average/mean/mode/median, the votes fell the same way as the rest of the district (comprising about 20 counties and several Independent Cities), stretching from Williamsburg to the suburbs of DC. So, the sample is not polluted or skewed in any way.

The only thing I can figure out is that Lancaster is one of the few (maybe the only) counties that routinely purges its voter rolls. Thus, this tells us that in all the other jurisdictions that only reported a 5% turnout are not purging their rolls, making them rife for mischeif this fall. (Which leads me to the cynical conclusion that this is the reason they are not purged in the first place. We'd hate to remove all those weeds in vacant lots, dead people, cats and dogs from the "every vote counts" rolls, wouldn't we?)

Craig