[APG Public List] SourceCitation better link

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Thu Jun 10 09:48:35 MDT 2010

I cannot think of anything more dull. I have said this before, but I'll say it again. I do my very best to follow all the guidelines  (CMS and EE)f or footnotes and citations when writing. Invariably, the editor has his/her own ideas and simply rewrites all of it anyway. Usually, they strip all the EE verbiage even when I tell them not to (e.g., brackets around web sites, with dates accessed.) To me, it is a moot issue except for client reports, which I only send out in PDF format, for just this reason. That way, if someone wants to pick it apart, they have to re-tpye the whole thing.

I realize there are circumstances when one needs to know exactly how to cite this or that source. My solution to this is to ask the archivist (whether they be in England, France, Germany or the good ole USA, Greece, Italy, China or Japan, Australia or Zimbabwe)  how they would do it. EE can go on and on, but I prefer to stick with how the particular archivist told me to do it. No offense, Elizabeth.

To me, one of the most annoying aspects of our APG lists is "How do I cite this? and "How do I cite that?" and they gone for two paragraphs for a footnote that takes up half the page. No offense, Elizabeth (twice.)

Larry, you can create a new list for just this purpose, but I think you will regret it sooner rather than later. Do you REALLY want to get bogged down in minutia? I think most editors would say one of two things: (1) Please provide your source and (2) This is too much information.

Craig