[APG Public List] citation Think Tank

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Jun 10 08:15:49 MDT 2010

Jacqueline,

I've set up a yahoo group called SourceCitations.  What I'm planning is a
moderated study session group, restricted to those who don't have a high
level of confidence in the writing of source citations.  It will not be like
TheoryGen (which is completely wide open as to content and membership).  It
won't be a place to debate the BCG or professionalism or anything along that
line.

I think I'm well placed to moderate such a group because I have 25 years of
experience with research methods, both historical and genealogical, and yet
I have a strong interest in really taking a detailed look at source
citations.  The idea would be a round table series of study sessions,  using
reference material such as Evidence Explained, going step by step through
that text, from front to back.  Plus looking at how the genealogical
approach compares and contrasts with the Chicago Style Manual.  Also side
sessions on the source citations preferred by major archives.  And a look
later at the source citation requirements for different genealogical
journals and magazines.

This is an open course structure, but not a place for those who already have
a high degree of confidence in writing source citations already.  Members
will be invited to bring their own source citations 'puzzles' to the table
at different points in the sessions (they would have to be appropriate for
the session that was current).

And anything on the list can be taken by any member who wants to solicit
opinions and comments on another list or from an expert (non-member) off
list.  There will be some restriction on that type of cross-posting.

Because it is a closed, restricted study group,  there will be an ability to
examine actual documents and case studies.

Goal:  That participants hopefully will come out of it with a high level of
confidence in the writing of good genealogical source citations.

Participants are invited to participate at a level that they feel
comfortable at.  You can join at any point later as the sessions proceed,
but I recommend you go back and read through the earlier entries and
material.

the Source Citation study sessions will utilize the following Yahoo group:

The group is open now, and the first sessions will begin in about two weeks.
I need to prepare some outlines but in the meantime, the door is open for
introductory discussions. I'd like to get a sense of what interests
participants,  who you are, what your motivations are for joining, and just
general ideas on the subject itself.

I think this is going to be really an interesting, quiet learning
environment for us all.

Larry

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Experts in Historical & Genealogical Research"
Listowner, TheoryGen (a non-archived list)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com