[APG Public List] citation think group APGers-isn't there one of those?

CL Swope (alfonsa) alfonsa at cynthiaswope.com
Wed Jun 9 15:48:02 MDT 2010


Linda, yes  -- I've done it before. Frankly, I thought I'd refrain this 
time, as it seems like a lot to demand of the group.
C


linda at fpr.com wrote:
> Cynthia,
>
> People "bounce off citations" frequently on the TGF list, getting
> feedback on their drafts.  That's not the sole purpose of the list, by
> any means, but it does happen often.  an indication of how we each
> appreciate someone else's thoughtful review.
>
> You got the subscription info for the TGF list, right?  If not, let me
> know & I'll email you the link.
>
> Linda
> ____________
> Linda Gardner
> Massachusetts
>
>   
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: Re: [APG Public List] citation think group APGers-isn't
>> there	one of those?
>> From: "CL Swope (alfonsa)" <alfonsa at cynthiaswope.com>
>> Date: Wed, June 09, 2010 3:22 pm
>> To: "Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com>,  APG LIST
>> as of Summer 2009 <apgpubliclist at apgen.org>
>>
>>
>> When I made the post creating this thread, I was thinking of, and still 
>> would like, a place to bounce off citations (yes, only formats) . 
>> Discussions encompassing what you mention might occur in the analysis of 
>> the citations themselves, but what I crave is a citation buddy group to 
>> analyze the citations if a question arises. While Elizabeth's book is of 
>> course great, following it, in order to follow it, is not always easy 
>> (at least for me, and maybe because I have the pdf version and it's 
>> unfortunately hard to negotiate--for me) . There are many details, and I 
>> think alot of us would like to just be able to analyze and feel 
>> confident in our own citations.
>>
>> Cynthia
>>
>>
>> Elissa Scalise Powell, CG wrote:
>>     
>>> Just to clarify the questions posed below as a way to get people to
>>> thinking: Citations and evidence analysis are often woven together when
>>> people are discussing them. Any think tank or discussion on citations needs
>>> to understand what it is you are citing. Citations act as a way that we can
>>> analyze the weight of evidence we are citing by accurately depicting what it
>>> is we actually saw and used and in what format. For example a photo of a
>>> headstone is "weightier" than the book of transcribed readings. Courses such
>>> as the Boston University course explore these issues. In Tom Jones' three
>>> week module you get to examine the whys and wherefores of citations and also
>>> evidence analysis, conflicting evidence, case building and what constitutes
>>> proof. 
>>>
>>> So to add to the questions about when you say you might like to study
>>> citations, do you really mean just the citations (as in formats), or will
>>> proof arguments, evidence analysis and conflict resolution be part of the
>>> discussion? It seems to me that it would make it a lot more relevant to be
>>> able to consider, ponder, practice and discuss the whole ball of wax.
>>>
>>> My .02,
>>> Elissa
>>>
>>> Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
>>> www.PowellGenealogy.com
>>> CG and Certified Genealogist are Service Marks of the Board for
>>> Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certificants
>>> after periodic evaluations by the Board. 
>>>
>>>
>>>   
>>>       
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: On Behalf Of Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:15 PM
>>>>
>>>> What would such a "think group" look like? Would it be people sitting
>>>>     
>>>>         
>>> around
>>>   
>>>       
>>>> creating references for pre-selected sources? Would it be a place to
>>>>     
>>>>         
>>> bounce
>>>   
>>>       
>>>> your own citations off others? Would it be study of the whys and
>>>>     
>>>>         
>>> wherefores
>>>   
>>>       
>>>> of the citation models? Would it be like the couple of weeks that Dr. Tom
>>>> Jones spends on citations in the Boston University Genealogical Research
>>>> Certificate course? Just what would this animal look like? How would it be
>>>> administered?
>>>>     
>>>>         
>>>
>>>
>>>       
>
>
>   



More information about the APGPublicList mailing list