[APG Public List] citation think group APGers-isn't there oneof those?

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Jun 9 09:24:55 MDT 2010

I'd recommend the time-limited discussion approach that's now going on in
TheoryGen.  It's a learning curve, because email lists/groups aren't
normally used in this manner.  Jeanette's introduction of time limits, and a
particular article have worked well, but it's just the first step towards
learning how to quietly and effectively discuss articles and anything else
that's of interest.

The advantage of a yahoo (or other) group is that there are accompanying
applications that can be used to add files, links, and other supportive
materials.

One thing that's turning out to be really nice is that even when people
don't have the time to participate, they can follow the discussion of the
article by selectively reading the responses and discussions as they go on.
With a study group isn't everyone expected to participate?  On this current
first attempt on TheoryGen, far more people are able to read even if they
can't participate.  And there's always the potential that eventually one of
the future time limited discussions will be something they wish to comment
on.

The more we experiment with alternative uses of these lists and groups, the
better use we make of them.

But this first attempt is going well.  I think maybe future discussions
could be limited to 4 or 5 days maximum, but as I said this is just a first
attempt to get us used to taking a more relaxed, open approach to
discussions centred on a particular article, document, or idea.

In any study group, room should be made for people who just want to sit in
and listen (or in this case, read) along.

Larry

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Experts in Historical & Genealogical Research"
Listowner, TheoryGen (a non-archived list)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com