[APG Public List] Oklahoma Censuses, Tax Lists, Etc.?

Donna McR donna316 at tx.rr.com
Sun Jun 6 10:00:18 MDT 2010

Hello:

I am trying to find a family which should be listed in Missouri (or elsewhere--I've searched all states) in the censuses of 1870 and 1880.  I have searched literally everywhere within the U.S. for the family as a group, as well as for individuals in the family who might be living apart from the main family.  I have done all the wildcard searches, variant first and last names, mis-spelled names, etc.

Their daughter married in Lawrence County, in the southwest corner of Missouri in 1885.  This is one county away from the Oklahoma border.  I am wondering if this family might have been in Oklahoma (i.e., one of the Indian Nations/Indian Territory) in 1870-1880.  She was underage, and the marriage consent in Missouri was given by a person apparently not her parent.  She married a man of her same surname, and I am wondering if she was actually visiting Lawrence County relatives when they met.

I have consulted Red Book, Val Greenwood's guide, etc., and am not getting leads on anything that might help.  Perhaps even there I'm missing something.

Are there any tax lists, tribal censuses that included the non-native population, etc., that might help me search for this couple 1870-1880?

They might have been Native American in part, but I doubt it.  However, I understand that non-natives made agreements with the Indian tribes to use farmland and pastureland before non-native settlement officially was allowed in 1889.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Donna