[APG Public List] Mechanic-1850 census Georgia river town

CL Swope (alfonsa) alfonsa at cynthiaswope.com
Fri Jun 4 15:16:02 MDT 2010

I've a forebear listed as a Mechanic in 1850 Perry, Houston County,
Perry.  It's on Big Indian Creek. Agriculturally, it produced foremost
cotton....but other crops too. Perry's first industries were gristmills,
sawmills, and cotton gin.

I've another , his father, who was a Mechanic in Houston County, at
Hayneville . This is also a river town, and primarily a planter culture
from what I can find.

Can anyone help me verify what these guys did beyond my modern
understanding of men talking doo dads , whatchya ma call its, and thing
a ma jigs at really expensive prices in a car garage?

I read in a post on searching this the term represents
'a Mill Right or Mechanic that repairs Grist Mills'.
Is this accurate? Could it alternately have something to do with boats?

TIA

Cynthia