[APG Public List] Newborn Given Temporary Name?

Noreen Manzella nalexmanz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 14:05:30 MDT 2010

Donna,
I can't answer your question definitively, but I can share a family story.  My father was born as a 7-month premature baby in 1912. He never had a birth certificate until he needed one for the Army in 1939.  His name was (he died in 1997) Gerald Harrison Alexander.  Imagine his surprise to receive his birth certificate from New Jersey with the name "William Alfred Alexander" on it.  His father had died inthe flu epidemic of 1918, and his mother died in 1936 without ever mentioning this name discrepancy.  He phoned his one remaining aunt who explained that his parents did not expect him to live and gave him "family names" that were expected to be used, but that they didn't like.  Seen as they expected him to die, they thought that would fulfill their family obligations, but they wouldn't have to use them. (my, they sound self-serving in this light).  Within days, it was clear my father would survive, and they baptized him Gerald Harrison.  He
 provided his baptismal certificate to the Army and they accepted that as proof that he was one and the same person....can't imagine they would today, but with impending war perhaps they were more lenient.  If those few days/weeks that he bore the name William Alfred had been census taking days, I can see that it might have caused a lot of confusion!
Noreen