[APG Public List] To all New York State based genealogical researchers

Carl Oehmann oehmannc at att.net
Fri Jul 30 06:10:21 MDT 2010

Linda,
I don't live in NY but I'm wondering if the statement "Those services
include the furnishing of information that is personal or individual in
nature and that is not or may not be substantially incorporated in reports
furnished to other persons" would exempt a Genealogical Researcher. Looking
at the list of Service Businesses, I am thinking the law is based at
genealogical services such as database providers (like Footnote or
Ancestry). I think it might be a good idea to contact their tax department
and get a reading before charging clients a tax.
Carl Oehmann