[APG Public List] "First Papers"

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Thu Jul 29 11:12:48 MDT 2010

I agree with everything Meredith said. This was the process and it does
depend on place and time in history as to the variables of how long between
first and final papers (application and final). The federal government took
over the application process in 1906 so look there after that time. The
Western District of Pennsylvania naturalization files are on Footnote.com.
Others may be digitized in time.

Telling a client to look somewhere for something that is easily accessible
to the public can be a money-saving suggestion to that client. If they don't
understand the instructions however, it can cause some confusion. If $16 is
all she paid for the retrieval of the document, that would be a bargain in
comparison to some fees. What would the client have thought about the $27
fee for an SS-5? Expecting that naturalizations in all time periods (you
don't say when this one was) carry the same information of birthplace or
ship name is an unrealistic expectation. Educating this client about what
was asked in the timeframe her ancestor naturalized might have set
expectations better.

Hope you can explain this all to your student, so that she can feel better
about what she was given.

-- Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com