[APG Public List] "First Papers"

Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb mhoffman at generationsweb.com
Thu Jul 29 10:32:41 MDT 2010

A footnote to my earlier post about this, in which I should have
clarified an important point about time frames and the location of
naturalization records:

The statement that naturalization papers may have been filed in any
court is true up until 1906; and what Patti says here is right on
about the variety of places where one could file a Declaration of
Intention or a Petition for Naturalization, and therefore where one
might find these records today.

Until 1906, if they were filed in a federal court, those records are
today likely to be at the relevant regional NARA; if they were filed
in a state, county, or local court, you're most likely to find them at
the relevant State Archives, or at least they may be able to tell you
where else you might look.

(Some county court records have ended up at NARA and are on NARA
microfilm; and there are NARA microfilm _indexes_ to some state and
local court naturalizations, mostly pre-1906, including New York and
the New England States.)

In 1906, the federal government started to legislate and administer
naturalization procedures; it restricted the courts where one could
file. Those post-1906 copies are held in the relevant NARA regional
office for each area.

Also, since 1906 the federal government required that a copy of each
Declaration and Petition be filed with the INS (Immigration and
Naturalization Service). You can request copies of naturalization
records from 1906 to 1956 from them (this is a very slow way to get
these records, given that there are other ways to retrieve them). I've
never dealt with newer records, but in general, after 1956, you'll
find naturalization records at the local INS office where the papers
were filed.

In addition, the FHL has microfilms of many records, mostly prior to
1930; search the catalog for "naturalization" and the locality of
interest.

Some -- but by no means all -- records are being digitized and put
online. Some -- but by no means all -- indexes are being digitized and
put online.

Pretty much, though, this is something that you still need to research
and retrieve at the appropriate repository -- once you've figured out
which one it is! -- either yourself or by hiring someone else to do
it, if you're not able to do it yourself.

As with all records, sometimes you can't find a Declaration of
Intention or a Petition for Naturalization, even if you're pretty
certain it actually existed. And sometimes, when you find the column
for Naturalization Status in the 1900, 1910, or 1920 census filled in
with Pa (meaning that "first papers" or a Declaration of Intention has
been filed) or Na (meaning that "final papers" or a Petition for
Naturalization has been filed), for a variety of reasons that
information may turn out to be incorrect.

--Meredith

Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb
Plymouth, MA

JGSGB Publicity Chair