[APG Public List] "First Papers"

Barb Wylie wyliebbw at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 29 08:52:12 MDT 2010

I found my great-great-grandfather's Declaration of Intent listed in the
Index of Divorces in a rural ounty courthouse!  The Declaration itself was
in numerical order as indicated in the Index. There didn't seem to be other
immigrants in the community so my best guess is that the clerk didn't know
where to put it. Since it wasn't a criminal case, divorce records seemed
like the clerk's next choice. I've yet to find naturalization papers.
Perhaps he, like many others, didn't realize there was more to the process
than filing his Declaration of Intent.

Barbara Brixey Wylie

APG Member, Texas

  _____