[APG Public List] "First Papers"

Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb mhoffman at generationsweb.com
Thu Jul 29 06:00:33 MDT 2010

Leslie,

"First Papers" is simply the common term for "Declaration of
Intention." This is what you file to initiate the process of becoming
a citizen.

After that, there's a waiting period (which was different at different
times and under different circumstances); then you file what is
commonly called "Final Papers," which is the common term for the
"Petition for Naturalization." (Typically, you have to have been in
the US continuously for five years, with some exceptions, before you
can file the Petition for Naturalization.)

They are, in fact, two separate documents. Sometimes, they may be
filed together at whatever repository you find them, and sometimes
they are filed separately. Sometimes, they're not even at the same
repository! This is especially true the farther back you go, and
before 1906 in particular, when you may find one or both documents
filed at any number of local courts, and often not at the same court,
and sometimes not in the same state!

So, as two separate documents, when I charge someone for locating and
retrieving "naturalization papers," if I retrieve both, I charge for
each one as a separate research cost, with any and all attendant costs
(travel, finding the microfilm, locating the record, making the copy,
recording the source information, and transcribing it, if that's part
of the job request). That's also the case if I'm locating them online;
if I'm lucky, I'll find both together when I search for one, but
typically, it's two individual searches, ... with two individual
charges.

Personally and professionally, I don't find a charge for $16 to
retrieve a Declaration of Intention excessive. Nor is it in any way
unethical or shady to charge a separate fee to retrieve any
corresponding Petition for Naturalization.

As for whether the cost is "worth $16 I paid for them" -- these
documents are what they are; nobody was trying to "foist" something
off on your student. The issue of their value is subjective and that's
a whole 'nother conversation....

With regard to your student saying that she was told to "look on
ancestry...then she could find them," I assume that she was told to
find the _index_ to the naturalization papers on Ancestry, and with
that information it would be possible to retrieve the actual document.

Hope this helps.

--Meredith

Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb
Plymouth, MA