[APG Public List] "First Papers"

Michael John Neill mjnrootdig at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 10:39:52 MDT 2010

First papers are generally considered to be the declaration of intent, the
"first paper" filed in the process of naturalization. The content of these
papers varies, some provide immigration detail and some do not. They usually
should indicate to whom the declarant originally owes allegiance to. The
content sometimes depends upon time period and location. The "oath" is the
final paper and is usually separate from the first papers. In some places
the final oaths are recorded separately and are usually referred to as the
"final" papers. In some locations and some courts they are filed as "one
record." In others they are separate. In others, the first papers were not
retained.

And for how much of these are online, I'm staying off that soapbox.
Ancestry.com has some indexes based from NARA microfilm. Footnote has
similar. Without knowing the time period and location, I can't say
specifically whether Ancestry.com has them or not online, but I have my
doubts.

Michael
Michael John Neill
Casefile Clues