[APG Public List] "First Papers"

PLHGenealogy at gmail.com PLHGenealogy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 10:28:56 MDT 2010

Leslie,

Without knowing the details of what all was originally offered or known, my
comments may not be applicable. So many naturalization papers lie in county
courthouses, that it certainly is not a given that final papers, etc., are
going to appear on Footnote. As a matter of fact, it is more likely that
there would be no naturalization papers on Footnote.com since they have
records mostly from the bigger district courts. A person could use any
court and commonly used their own county courthouse (which to my knowledge
is not on Footnote). They could file the declaration of intent in one place
and then five years later be in some other location and submit the rest of
the paperwork and take the oath of allegiance in a totally different
courthouse than where the original declaration was filed.

I would consider "first papers" to be only the declaration of intent and
not all the papers related to the naturalization process since it's
possible all the papers are not in one location anyway.

Patti