[APG Public List] "First Papers"

Leslie Drewitz ldrewitz at mybpl.org
Wed Jul 28 09:29:35 MDT 2010

Naturalization records have never been my strong suit, but one of my
students was having a problem with getting the full file of naturalization
records from someone that she had contracted with on Genlighten.  It was
my impression that the term "First Papers" would net you everything in the
file from the declaration up to the oath - but this is not what she's getting.

The person that she contracted with just sent her a copy of the
declaration and charged her $16.  here is what my student said:

"..This  lady is telling me that the declaration is the first papers and
that is what I got. To tell you the truth it was not worth $16 I paid for
them. Is that not true.
http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html  - this is the link
that I got. She told me to go look on ancestry to find the petition papers
or final oath then she could find them. Am I still not understanding?..."

Could someone clearly define the term "First Papers"?

Thank You

Leslie Drewitz PLCGS
Certified Genealogical Librarian
Local History/Genealogy