[APG Public List] Problem with professional genealogist; formerly, Repeating client's work

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 16:09:53 MDT 2010

Elizabeth;
     I understand your basic point, summed up below, and I agree with it - as far as it goes. But I still think Mag has _good_ reason for being upset.
     My reasoning is this; she wrote this genealogist giving specific instructions. Had the researcher then either refunded her money and declined to get involved, _or_ contacted her to explain essentially what you've said here, I'd be satisfied the genealogist was being reasonable. _But_, no matter how ill-advised the instructions may have been, that does not justify silently accepting them and then ignoring them.
     Consider an analogy. Say that a man walks into a car dealership and says he wants a car that will travel two hundred miles on every gallon of gas he puts in it. It's an impossible request. The sales staff are within their rights to tell him they can't sell him such a car. They are within their rights to try to persuade him this is impossible, _then_ sell him one of the cars on their lot. But, if they just say "Sure!", then sell him something that can't even get 50 mpg - they've just scammed him.
     _That_ is the issue that convinces me Mag has good reason to be upset. In my opinion, that genealogist ought to absorb the full cost of any such research - unless, _without_ extra cost, they come up with precisely the answer she was seeking.
                         Ray Beere Johnson II