[APG Public List] Problem with professional genealogist; formerly, Repeating client's work

Michael John Neill mjnrootdig at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 08:14:50 MDT 2010

While the location is not mentioned, I would not accept any such conditions
on a contract, nor would I impose them. I can think of numerous situations
where one key element, lead, etc. appears in some record written or created
well after the person of interest was born. In time periods where
contemporary records are scant, clues in records at the end of a person's
life may be pivotal.

Not communicating with you though does raise concerns. I usually request
intermittent reports and updates (informally) when the researcher is someone
with whom I have not worked before.

That said, I don't want the researcher to obtain records/documents which I
already have, but reviewing them may very well be in order especially with a
completely fresh set of eyes. I always organize what I have, include
complete copies, etc--which I'm assuming you and the group have already
done. And, much to my chagrin, there have been times when clues have stared
me right in the face in a document which I originally  thought "didn't tell
me anything."

In my own experience, in a slightly different scenario, I sometimes tell the
researcher that I would like a certain set of records searched, but then I
indicate what the "problem" actually is. That allows them to determine if
there are records I don't know about that might be helpful.

Just my two cents.
Michael

--
Michael John Neill