[APG Public List] Repeating client's work

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Jul 22 07:42:50 MDT 2010

In a lot of cases I find that even more important than adding clauses
(though such clauses are fail safes),  good communication and dialogue with
the client is fundamental to avoiding future misunderstandings. The client
is usually frustrated by a block of some sort, and has tunnel vision, and a
low patience threshold.  He/she wants the answer by the shortest route,
meanwhile forgetting that sometimes even after years of their own effort
they couldn't get it themselves.  But professionals are supposed to have a
magic wand that breaks down that door with a couple of clicks of a mouse.

I spend more upfront time talking to the client (often actually "talking" to
the client by phone), or using a Chat.  It not only opens up the client's
realizations about how and why I'm going to approach the research, it
establishes a personal relationship of sorts,  a precedent for future more
amiable contact.  If I find the client is stubborn, demanding, and has
unrealistic expectations then it often emerges in these conversations and I
turn down the commission

Larry