[APG Public List] Repeating client's work

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Thu Jul 22 07:21:22 MDT 2010

My answer would be simple.  I need to see where you may have gone wrong
(since you've hit a point where you need to hire me) in your previous
research.  To get from A to B I have to take a fresh look at a range of
records that you may or may not have looked at.  I'm the professional, you
hired me because your  research attempts failed in some way.  Part of what I
have to do to get past that 'failure' is to look at what you did, and make
sure you didn't misinterpret or overlook some key piece of information.  To
accept everything as given would make me your partner in your failed
attempt, and since I have the experience and training to bring to bear on
the problem, I prefer to evaluate things for myself rather than accept your
take on things.

I wouldn't actually use the word 'failure', I'd dress the explanation up in
pleasant, amiable terms, but the above would be what I meant.

Larry