No subject

Thu Jul 8 12:08:17 MDT 2010

Larry
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MFP
  To: apgpubliclist at apgen.org
  Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [APG Public List] Problem with professional
genealogist;formerly, Repeating client's work

  On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Israel P <IsraelP at pikholz.org> wrote:

    What do you folks do when - after asking client the three basic
questions
    what do you know, what do you want to learn and what resources have you
    already checked - client then says "Why did you spend two hours on such
    and such?  I already looked at that."

  I have a question that pertains to perhaps the opposite of this situation
and look forward to guidance from knowledgeable members of this list.

  We (our family research group of six members) commissioned a genealogist
to search for parentage of our ancestor who was born (our best guesstimate
ca 1768) In our initial exchanges of correspondence, we wrote: "if it
happened after 1815, we either have it already or don't want it if we don't
have it". That guideline was included among  a number of exchanges both on
the telephone, written letter and email.

  To our chagrin, we found that this genealogist is reviewing on the web,
children of the ancestor whose parentage we seek! In our explicit
instruction we included data on all thirteen of the ancestor's children and
stated clearly as I wrote above----if it happened after 1815, etc.

  We have paid a three hundred dollar retainer to cover basic expenses, and
would like to retrieve our money, but have no idea how to proceed. In
addition to statement of our research goals that included our verbatim
statement of "no research of this family after the year 1815, the contract
read simply: "after research of several sources, I will inform client of
findings and decide whether to proceed". The hourly rates were specified.

  The genealogist has been informed of our finding the research being done
on the web, and so far, no response.

  This experience, one of three such unhappy results of commissioning
professional researchers (one of which was caused by my self), has convinced
me it is time to prepare myself to do my own research.

  Please advise/offer opinions as to how to proceed with this genealogist.

  Mag Parker

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01CB297E.4E0CA220

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I would normally look at 'children of the ancestor whose parentage' =
the=20
client is seeking, and I would have explained that was necessary.&nbsp; =
Often to=20
go back, you have to first go forward or even sideways within the same=20
generation of the individual whose parentage is being sought.&nbsp; And =
I would=20
look at information and sources already looked at by the client.&nbsp; =
You have=20
to thoroughly understand the 'known' to be able to find the =
'unknown'.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And particularly where the client has done extensive research but =
then=20
reached a block at to parentage.&nbsp; Usually in those circumstances =
when I=20
look at the generation prior to the parents' I find the client has =
missed=20
something in the records examined, missed a lead arising from those =
records, or=20
misinterpreted something in those records.&nbsp; All of the above can =
provide=20
that piece of information that begins to unravel the mystery.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>When you hire a professional you have to understand that he or she =
is going=20
to come at things differently than you sometimes expect.&nbsp; Your =
research=20
dead-ended.&nbsp; I suspect the professional wanted to examine exactly =
how and=20
why it dead-ended, and that means going over that same ground that you =
looked=20
at.&nbsp; You may have provided the information, but often the =
professional=20
isn't going to take your word on it. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Problem is you have to have a little bit of trust.&nbsp; If you've =
gone=20
through 3 professionals you might want to consider whether a tiny bit of =
the=20
problem might not be coming from your expectations about how the =
research=20
"should" proceed.&nbsp; Yet by your own admission, your approach has =
reached the=20
point where you need outside help to continue, so something may be =
missing, or=20
misread, or misinterpreted by you as you did your research.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From the facts you've presented here, the above would be my view of =

things</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Larry</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcourthouseresearcher at gmail.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:courthouseresearcher at gmail.com">MFP</A> </DIV>
title=3Dapgpubliclist at apgen.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:apgpubliclist at apgen.org">apgpubliclist at apgen.org</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, July 22, 2010 =
8:41=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [APG Public List] =
Problem=20
  with professional genealogist;formerly, Repeating client's work</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><BR>On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Israel P <SPAN=20
  dir=3Dltr>&lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:IsraelP at pikholz.org">IsraelP at pikholz.org</A>&gt;</SPAN> =

wrote:<BR>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_quote>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid; MARGIN: 0pt 0pt 0pt =
0.8ex; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex"=20
  class=3Dgmail_quote>What do you folks do when - after asking client =
the three=20
    basic questions<BR>what do you know, what do you want to learn and =
what=20
    resources have you<BR>already checked - client then says "Why did =
you spend=20
    two hours on such<BR>and such? &nbsp;I already looked at=20
  that."<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV><BR>I have a question that pertains to perhaps the opposite of =
this=20
  situation and look forward to guidance from knowledgeable members of =
this=20
  list. <BR><BR>We (our family research group of six members) =
commissioned a=20
  genealogist to search for parentage of our ancestor who was born (our =
best=20
  guesstimate ca 1768) In our initial exchanges of correspondence, we =
wrote: "if=20
  it happened after 1815, we either have it already or don't want it if =
we don't=20
  have it". That guideline was included among&nbsp; a number of =
exchanges both=20
  on the telephone, written letter and email. <BR><BR>To our chagrin, we =
found=20
  that this genealogist is reviewing on the web, children of the =
ancestor whose=20
  parentage we seek! In our explicit instruction we included data on all =

  thirteen of the ancestor's children and stated clearly as I wrote =
above----if=20
  it happened after 1815, etc. <BR><BR>We have paid a three hundred =
dollar=20
  retainer to cover basic expenses, and would like to retrieve our =
money, but=20
  have no idea how to proceed. In addition to statement of our research =
goals=20
  that included our verbatim statement of "no research of this family =
after the=20
  year 1815, the contract read simply: "after research of several =
sources, I=20
  will inform client of findings and decide whether to proceed". The =
hourly=20
  rates were specified. <BR><BR>The genealogist has been informed of our =
finding=20
  the research being done on the web, and so far, no response. =
<BR><BR>This=20
  experience, one of three such unhappy results of commissioning =
professional=20
  researchers (one of which was caused by my self), has convinced me it =
is time=20
  to prepare myself to do my own research. <BR><BR>Please advise/offer =
opinions=20
  as to how to proceed with this genealogist. <BR><BR>Mag=20
  Parker<BR><BR></DIV><BR></DIV><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01CB297E.4E0CA220--