[APG Public List] "Mrs." in a colonial New England marriage

Helen S. Ullmann hsullmann at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 17:25:22 MDT 2010

Hi Christine,

That's a tricky problem. It could be either. Maybe if you did a bit of
research on the other marriages on the page you could get a better
picture. Maybe some definitely were married before. Or if you can
convince yourself that some, or most of the others weren't, that would
help. We were looking at the same problem in other records for a
Register article. Turned out there were two versions of the original
vital records, a copy by the original recorder. But that would be
unusual. I don't suppose there's a county court copy there in N.H. at
the time, is there?

Helen Ullmann