[APG Public List] "Mrs." in a colonial New England marriage record--social class or married state?

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer christine3cats at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 09:25:00 MDT 2010

Hi, Craig,

Actually, "Mrs." is an abbreviation for Mistress, although the
pronunciation has also been abbreviated. I had a response off list
from someone who kindly sent a copy of a short article he wrote after
noticing the same phenomenon. His conclusion was that using the social
title "Mistress" for young unmarried women died out around 1735 or so,
at least in Connecticut where he was observing it.

Now I still have to figure out who Jane Boynton's father is...I do
have two potential Boynton fathers, so will have to write to the
county, town, or whatever to see if they left estates.

Christine