[APG Public List] "Mrs." in a colonial New England marriage record--social class or married state?

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Sun Jul 18 04:52:02 MDT 2010

Christine,

What a good question. I have seen young woman--girls really--styled "Mrs." in Virginia records. I have come to believe it is an abbreviation for Miss. Since I know for a fact these young maids were not married and were about ten years old at the time, it really did throw me for a loop at first.

You have done a great job of compiling data for the purpose of comparison. I thank you for the corroboration.

Craig Kilby