[APG Public List] Re: Source Citation Question

hhsh at earthlink.net hhsh at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 29 19:27:26 MST 2010

Jane --

1. Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Bad Sülze Parish Register, 1878, image 11,
frame 0041, Frieda
Wilhelmine Louise Henrike Piplow baptism, 24 November 1878; Digital
images, Ancestry.com. _Mecklenburg, Germany, Parish Register
Transcripts, 1876-1918_ [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:
Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009. Original data:
Kirchenbuchabschriften evangelischer und katholischer Gemeinden
Mecklenburgs. 10.72-4. Landeshauptarchiv Schwerin, Schwerin.
(http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1627 : accessed 26
January 2010)

I think this reference note can be shortened some. There shouldn't need to be
any periods in a reference note except the one at the end. In the first part of
the citation I would give the page and line and item numbers (whatever there
is) for the physical book itself, because some people may look for the record
in its original form.

There are other points, but then I get to Ancestry's title and warning bells go
off. Is this just a transcription of the records? Or are you viewing the
original images? (I don't have this subscription so cannot tell.) That will
make a big difference in the citation, and in your level of satisfaction, since
transcriptions can introduce errors in ways that a digital picture of an
original record doesn't.

Harold

Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana
hhsh at earthlink.net
home office 219/324-2620
http://www.midwestroots.net
http://midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com