[APG Public List] Re: 2010 Census warnings

Terry Reigel terry at reigelridge.com
Wed Jan 27 11:46:37 MST 2010

Patricia Epperson wrote:

> I have received several e-mails about the BBB warning,
> which is a good one.  I do remind my friends that if they
> send in their form no one will come to their door,
> therefore, if someone does come to their door asking for
> census information, the person should be reported to the
> police immediately.

It doesn't appear to me that this is necessarily true. Please look at the Census Bureau website at the link I provided earlier - http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/how-we-count.php

It would appear that there are a number of reasons a census agent might appear even if one returns the form. For example, look at Question #2 and Question #10 on the census form. They are obviously designed to insure that the right people are included in each household. But there are no self-corrective steps on the form for a "wrong" answer to those questions. It would appear that they would be addressed by some sort of contact from census takers, which could include a visit to the household.

Terry Reigel