[APG Public List] 2010 Census warnings

Terry Reigel terry at reigelridge.com
Tue Jan 26 08:28:17 MST 2010

Christopher Gray wrote:
> As I hope we all understand – the census is way more than
> names, ages and place of birth of those in the house.

Well, yes and no. Look at the actual census form at http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php to see for yourself.

The form is basically the same as in 2000, except for two new questions that appear to designed to help insure the right people are included in the household. Compared to census forms we are used to from the early part of last century, considerably less information is required. For person there is only name, sex, age and birth date, whether Latino and if so which sub-set, and race. It is not clear from the example form on the website, but from comments elsewhere apparently the relationship to Person #1 is asked for all others.

There are no occupation, financial or other household questions, nor is marital status recorded other than the relationship to Person #1 question. Future genealogists will not find the census to be as rich a source of data as we do today.

Terry Reigel