[APG Public List] Civil War question

jyoung6180 at aol.com jyoung6180 at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 13:18:58 MST 2010

My 2nd great-grandfather volunteered to fight in the Civil War. While his
age isn't precisely known, he was born about 1803 and volunteered in 1861
(about age 58). He served as his troop's fifer and volunteered along with
two of his sons and a few cousins all living in the same township at the
time. I suspect he did this because he was recently widowed (his wife is still
living at the time of the 1860 census but he is listed as a "widower" on his
 death certificate in Feb. 1863--so my thought is he was at loose ends and
went  off to war with his sons and cousins.

He shows up in the Army Hospital in Newark, NJ in early 1863 and is
discharged for "debility and old age." His death certificate shows he died less
than 2 weeks after his discharge. I have no idea what age he gave when he
volunteered (he never listed the same age twice <g>) but he was definitely
above the age we'd normally consider for someone going off to war.

Joan

In a message dated 1/24/2010 11:13:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,