[APG Public List] Civil War question

Kate Foote kate at comm1net.net
Sun Jan 24 11:19:39 MST 2010

Hi Judy,

I have encountered your situation in my personal research, and years ago in research for a client. In my personal ancestry I have a Charles Foote who was a gg- grandfather, living in Ohio at the beginning of the Civil War. Charles Foote from the same county served as a private in the infantry. They were *not* the same man! No pension was claimed by either individual - however, following them after the war showed that they had two distinctly different families, and they migrated to different states where they lived out their lives. Of course, that made it very easy for me to distinguish my own ancestor.

But, some time ago I had a client who's ancestor "appeared" to have served in the Civil War, even though he was at the advanced age of 62. Again, there was no pension claimed and no pension file. There were no family stories of Civil War service and no photos. This ambiguity intrigued me and I did a bit of research "on the side" for my own enlightenment. I would suggest that you check the regimental and division records, paying particular attention to the rank of the man you are looking for. Also, look for this man at a younger age serving in the Mexican-American War. Occasionally, when an infantry was formed at the state level, they would look to men with prior military experience, such as the Mexican-American War, to serve as officers.

If, as in your case, a Civil War pension file is available, I would not consider that I had conducted a through search (by GPS and my own standards) until I had obtained and completely examined that file. I would definitely urge my client to approve procuring the pension file. Good luck.

Kate