[APG Public List] Civil War question

robert mclaren bobmclaren at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 24 09:20:06 MST 2010

Judy,

This is possible; however, you need more evidence to support the believe that the Civil War soldier is the same person.  Two men with the same name and with a wife of the same first name are not necessarily the same person.  When researching my wife's ancestry I ran across two Patrick Reillys, each with a wife Mary, and in the same county.  Two different Patricks.  Took me a while to seperate them.

Have you searched the 1870 census for the person and his wife?  Finding the wife as a widow lends support.  However, the most valuable record you need to search is his widow's pension record.  There will be sufficient information on this pension record to determine if the soldier is the person you are researching.  Other evidence that can be useful are probate records, tax records, and land records.

Yours aye,

Bob McLaren
Genealogist, Clan MacLaren Society (based in Scotland)
Chairman, Genealogy Committee, Clan MacLaren Society of North America
Administrator, Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project (Worldwide)
Administrator, Lindo, da Silva, and Braham Surname DNA Projects (all Worldwide)
Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
Member, Genealogical Speakers Guild