[APG Public List] Needing 18th-19th Century American Maps

Pat Asher pjroots at att.net
Sun Jan 24 08:10:45 MST 2010

At 07:57 AM 1/24/2010, you wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I am looking for a map set in book format that would show the
>evolution of American counties from the time of the colonies to
>modern day.  This should also show the changing
>colony/territory/state boundaries.  I need major waterways and
>mountain ranges indicated also.
><snipped>
>I'm sure there must be software that would do the same and allow
>customization for the needs of a particular project----perhaps that
>would work if it would produce clear maps that I could print out to
>be marked on, etc.

Have you looked at Animap Plus?
http://www.goldbug.com/AniMap.html

I love it and use it almost daily.  It not only shows changing county
boundaries, but let's me plot archaic town names and many historic
churches in relationship to present day towns and locations.  There
is also an overlay for rivers.

If you print the maps, they are somewhat small for hand entered
markups, but they can be saved and resized in any graphics editing program.

Pat Asher