[APG Public List] Death certificate in Tennessee [SSA app]

Ida Skarson McCormick idamc at seanet.com
Thu Jan 21 07:13:30 MST 2010

Todd:

If the death certificate proves fruitless, and if you think Ruth
Agnes (Cloud) Biggs was ever employed outside the home in the late
1930s, 1940s, or 1950s, you could use a sample letter from
<http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi> to request her
application for a Social Security number (SS-5) and edit the letter.
Be sure to give all her names and dates of birth and death.

Since Ruth was probably not collecting Social Security at the time of
her death, you may have to prove her death, even though she would be
over 100 years old if still alive. You might as well send a copy of
the death certificate along with the letter and save time. It can
take several weeks. Her application for an SS# would include the
maiden name of her mother, Mary F. However, the mother's maiden name
may well be an Americanized version of the name, not the Old Country
version of the name, even in cases where the mother never emigrated.

Several years ago on very short notice I was required to fax the SSA
a copy of a death certificate for someone born in 1894. Luckily I had
the death certificate on hand.

Or you might send an online request for the SS application
<http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=genealogy&cdn=parenting&tm=47&f=10&su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.3.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=https%3A//secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWeb/internet/main.jsp>.
I understand you get faster service by ordering online. You will
probably have a very short time frame to provide a copy of the death
certificate if someone did not provide it when she died.

If you don't respond fast enough, the SSA will cancel your request
and keep your money. If they search and don't find an application for
her, they will keep your money. If you send an original death
certificate, they will keep it.

--Ida Skarson McCormick, idamc at seanet.com, Seattle

At 02:05 AM 1/21/2010, Julia <famrsearch at aol.com> wrote:
>If she [Mary F.] married in 1901 to a US citizen there would be no
>naturalization papers for her.  At that time, a women was
>automatically granted the citizenship of her husband.  This rule
>resulted in a number of female natural born US citizen losing their
>citizenship by marrying a non US citizen.
>

>In a message dated 1/20/2010 11:02:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>Todd White <toddmichaelwhite at yahoo.com> writes:
>Jack, You are exactly right. Yes it is Mary F. that I am attempting
>to find the maiden name for. A later census shows her immigration to
>the US as 1892 which makes more sense because her daughter Ruth was
>born in 1904.
>
>I am wondering if she came over in 1892 and was naturalized in 1913.
>Regardless, I cannot find her naturalization records. That is why I
>was attempting to find Ruth's death certificate.
<snip>