[APG Public List] Two Death Dates

Kathleen McLaughlin kandtmclaugh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 04:56:28 MST 2010

When looking at birth (and baptismal records), one must take into
account when records were required and what the rational for recording
birth records were. In Ohio, while some birth records were recorded
prior to the 1920's, the rate such record-keeping skyrocketed in the
1920-1930's. Among other reasons, the military draft, and the need for
proof of age for driver's licenses. In those early years, many came
into the clerk's office to register their own birth, and,
occassionally, someone actually born out of state was registered.
Indeed,  individuals may have had to register their own birth. Those
delayed birth registrations may have been recorded in seperate
ledgers, and some clerks have recorded the birth of individuals who
were living in the local area, but born out of state. (Delayed birth
certificates). My husband's aunt was the clerk in Wood County, Ohio
for many, many years. She recorded the birth of a relative who was
actually born in Pennsylvania.

Kathleen