[APG Public List] Need help interpreting wording

Barbara Stock bsstock at comcast.net
Wed Jan 13 10:12:01 MST 2010

I am working on an 1811 document from an Elbert County, GA deed book in
which a man transferred property to a son.  No will or intestate records
have been found, so I believe this deed transferred all that was left of his
estate at that time.

"To all people to whom these presents shall come, I Gideon Holmes Senior do
send greeting.  Know ye that I the said Gideon Holmes of the state of
Georgia in the county of Elbert husband man for six [?] in consideration of
the love good will and affection which I have and do bare toward my loving
son James Holmes..all and singular my goods and chattels now being in my
present premises, together with the tract of land..".

It goes on to mention that he had presented an inventory to James Holmes
listing all his possessions.  I have seen wills in deed books but I have
never seen anything quite like this.  First, the verbage is very strange for
Georgia deeds.  I googled husbandman and found that was a term used in
England during the 1400's through the early modern period meaning a small
farmer, a free tenant farmer, a yeoman, a tenant who cultivated leased
ground.

I am very puzzled by the word "six".  It looks like it could be six or sin,
but sin makes no sense in context.  Could this mean he had 6 in his
household?  Any other thoughts?  If anyone would like to take a look at
this, I would be glad to send a copy of the page as an attachment to a
personal email.

Barbara Smallwood Stock, CG

Marietta, GA