[APG Public List] Question on London, England, census, birth place discrepancies. Ignore previous.

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Tue Jan 12 08:12:03 MST 2010

Hi,  I just went through the census entries myself, and I agree that there
is great consistency between 1841, 1851, and 1861 (though change of name of
his mother from Elizabeth to Ann, but consistent in her age).  Children line
up perfectly.  The 1841 lists father James as being of the parish in which
the census was taken, then 1851 and 1861 show him as born Hants, but that's
not a problem.  People are often incorrectly shown as being of the parish of
residence in the 1841.  I think maybe they were new arrivals, nervous about
what it would mean if they said they weren't 'of this parish' to the census
takers (in some cases anyway).

>From 1871 to 1891, again consistency.  Once I look at the census records
it's clear that William Loe and Frances remain consistent through 1871-1891
(didn't look further), as do the names, birth dates, and places of birth of
the children, particularly that of daughter Ellen (born Haggerston)..  And
the William Loe in those records is likely to be the William in the
1841-1861 entries.  Could support the above by referencing other records
(his marriage entry, birth entry, parent's marriage, siblings
births/marriages and so on.  Could be an entry for father James re the
hospital, should be a burial/death record).

This family moved around a lot, you can see that from the places of birth.
>From the birth dates of children you can see that they moved to Northampton
between 1881 and 1884.

In 1861 father James appears in Hospital for Consumption & Diseases of
Chest.  Can't see him in 1871, but will check burial records.  By 1871, the
sons listed previously are all shown as servants, apprentices, or similar.
The butcher that you noted is highly likely William Loe.  Apprenticeship
records should show them.  Looks like once the father was ill and likely
deceased places were found for the sons.  Didn't track the mother
(Ann/Elizabeth).

So in answer to the original question, given the consistencies in
wives/children across the two generations, and being able to track the
families movements, it's clear that the evidence supports that the entries
are one and the same person.

Larry