[APG Public List] Question on London England, census, birth place discrepancies

CL Swope (alfonsa) alfonsa at cynthiaswope.com
Mon Jan 11 20:25:11 MST 2010

Might someone be able to tell me if the data here makes sense as
possibly the same man. I am working with areas I am unfamiliar with and
don't know if it makes sense or not.
I'd like to confirm that it makes sense that the William Loe of the
1871, 81 91 and 1901 censuses (shoemaker) could be the William LOW of
1841 and 1851 (son of a shoemaker) , and the William LOE born 1940 from
Free BMD (first entry in list below)

1840
William LOE born 1840, Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar ; District:
Lambeth County: Greater London, London, Surrey (from Ancestry.com's Free
BMD “England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915" database)

1841census. Civil parish: Lambeth Hundred: Brixton (Eastern Division)
County/Island: Surrey; Registration district: Lambeth Sub-registration
district: Kennington Second.
William LOW, 1 year old , in home of James LOW (shoe maker) .

1851 census. Civil parish: Shoreditch-Ecclesiastical parish: St
John-County/Island: Middlesex; Registration district:
Shoreditch-Sub-registration district: Hoxton Old Town-ED, institution,
or vessel: 8
William LOW, 11, son in home of James LOW (shoe maker) ,

1871 census. London, Bethnal Green.
household of William LOE, 31, born Surrey, England, shoe maker.

1881 census. Surrey, England. Civil Parish: Croyden, Town or village:
Croydon; Urban Sanitary District: Croydon
household of William Loe, 41, born Stockwell, Surrey, England, shoemaker

1891 census. Northamptonshire-Civil Parish: St Sepulchres;
William LOE, Head, male 51, Shoemaker, born Stockwell, Surrey

1901 census. Northamptonshire , St Sepulchre (Civil) Parish.
William Loe, male 61, Shoemaker, Stitchman, Hand sewn, Worker
(“Employer, Worker or Own account”), Working at home, Born: Stockwell.

For those familiar with the regions ...does this look the same man?
There are obvious discrepancies. Can they be accounted for?

Thanks for any insight or guidance
Cynthia