[APG Public List] surviving spouse "elective share"

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 14:29:11 MST 2010

Does anyone know the general history of "elective share" of surviving
spouses in testate cases?  I know what modern-day Minnesota law says, and  also
know that specifics vary among states.  I am wondering when such
protections became common.  I gather this is an outgrowth of dower's  rights.

I am going to be looking at 1840 statutes from a couple of states tomorrow,
 but if anyone can give me a quick general picture, I'd appreciate it.

Jay Fonkert,  CG
_http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/_
(http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/)
Saint  Paul, MN

Member, Association of Professional  Genealogists
(professional profile at _www.apgen.org)_ (http://www.apgen.org)/)
Member, Genealogical  Speakers Guild
(professional profile at _http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/)_
(http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/))

CG (Certified Genealogist) is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates  after
periodic competency evaluations.