[APG Public List] Two Death Dates

Kate Foote kate at comm1net.net
Mon Jan 4 12:46:29 MST 2010

Bob,

You are more than likely correct that the year is/was/should be 1916. Resetting our minds to write a new numeral every year is a problem we all encounter. The best indicator you have so far is that someone went to the trouble to cross out the number 5 and replace it with a 6 - that is not a consequence of forgetting that the year has changed, just the opposite.

Is there a tombstone that could be checked to help corroborate the year? Hopefully someone will be able to help you find a newspaper with an obit or a death notice. I would think such an untimely, accidental death as this may have generated an article of some kind. Also, does the cemetery record indicate the name of a Catholic church - "Holy Cross Cemetery" usually indicates a Catholic burial grounds? If there was a mass or service at a church (Catholic or other) prior to burial there would be a corresponding record that could be an alternate source for you. Best of luck.

Kate